Note: This is the post #18 in a weekly series of explanatory posts on the officials and agencies included in the President’s Cabinet. See the series introduction here.
White House / WhiteHouse.gov
White House Chief of Staff
Executive Office of the President
Primary Duties of the Secretary:
While the roles of the chief of staff varies by presidential administration, they usually include the following:
• Select key White House staff and supervise them;
• Structure the White House staff system;
• Control the flow of people into the Oval Office;
• Manage the flow of information;
• Protect the interests of the president;
• Negotiate with Congress, other members of the executive branch, and extra-governmental political groups to implement the president’s agenda; and
• Advise the president on various issues, including telling the president what he does not want to hear. Continue Reading...