What is so special about 1837? That was the year Abraham Kuyper was born. September 29th is his 165th birthday. So we thought we would go back to 1837 and see how people were being On Call in Culture back then.
We don’t know if they were all believers on a mission to bless the world, but by seeing what was going on 165 years ago, we hope you are encouraged to engage your world in 2012!
How did people bless the world in 1837?
• Charles Goodyear received his first rubber patent
• Oliver Twist is published by Charles Dickens
• Samuel Morse showcased the electric telegraph for the first time
• Charles Tiffany opened his jewelry store
• The steam-powered threshing machine was patented
• Issac Pitman invented the steno system
• “Requiem” is premiered by Hector Berlioz