It’s no secret that I, like all good perfectionists, love a good list. And this is a good one: Paul Handley at Church Times gives us the 100 best Christian books. Of course, like any good list, we can debate the merits of inclusion and exclusion (that’s part of the fun of a good list!) but certainly, for any serious Christian, this offers great food for thought.
Just to get whet your literary appetite, here are the top ten:
- Confessions, St. Augustine
- The Rule of Benedict, St. Benedict
- Summa Theologica, St. Thomas Aquinas
- Revelations of Divine Love, St. Julian of Norwich
- The Divine Comedy, Dante
- Pansees, Blaise Pascal
- The Pilgrim’s Progress, John Bunyan
- City of God, St. Augustine
- The Imitation of Christ, Thomas à Kempis
- Complete English Poems, George Herbert
If nothing else, this may help you get your Christmas gift list in order!